Adopting a School through CONAPAC
International Expeditions, the World Leader in Nature Travel, has spent three decades in the Amazon, developing deep relationships with the people who live so close to the rainforest. Now exploring more than 20 countries worldwide, International Expeditions remains dedicated to preserving the natural habitats of the places they visit and a passion for preserving and improving life for the people in those communities. Peru’s Adopt-A-School Program is just one example of the conservation and education initiatives IE has helped to found and fund.
The Adopt-A-School program, which International Expeditionsand the Peruvian NGO CONAPAC, helped to create in 1993, provides rural schools and students with school supplies while promoting environmental education in their communities. Now 120 schools in 75 separate communities with over 4,500 students and teachers along the Amazon and Napo Rivers receive school supplies and educational materials. Delivery of the books and school supplies takes place during April, and is aided by the 18-foot covered boat – Amigo – that International Expeditions funded in 2008.
Through support of the Adopt-A-School program, International Expeditions and its guests have accomplished so much to further education in the Peruvian rainforest.
In the coming years, with support from their guests, IE hopes to expand the work of the Adopt-A-School program:
- Provide school supplies to an increasing number of rural schools and children
- Fund educational workshops for teachers and community leaders in the villages focus on lesson plans, inclusive education for all students, health and nutrition in the rainforest
- Encourage parents’ participation in the educational process
- Continue encouraging visitors on IE’s Amazon Voyage to bring school supplies
- Encourage intercultural awareness and exchanges of friendship and goodwill among Peruvians and people from around the world
In addition, IE travel has agree to match donations received for the schools from travelers, up to $5,000.
View IE Travel's website for more information on this and other projects
To make a donation to this project, click here: